Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fall lawn cutting

If it doesn't stop raining long enough for us to cut the grass really soon I'm pretty sure our back yard will start growing a camaro, just as our neighbours' did. It really just needs one more cut before spring (hah! Take that you nice-weather-year round people! I finally found an advantage to living in the deep freeze! While you're sipping drinks on the beach at Christmas WE won't have to be cutting our lawns!)

(Hmm on second thought maybe it's not much of an advantage. Anyway, moving on.)

Our lawnmower is a hand-me-down from my parents. They bought it at a yard sale about 10 years ago, and it still works. It's an electric mower because they didn't want the fumes from a gas powered mower and they're much quieter.

About two weeks before our wedding it died just as Dave was finishing the back yard. We weren't sure why but didn't look into it too much because, well, we had a few other things on our mind. To be honest we don't care if we piss off our neighbours to the south, and since we moved here more than a year ago we've seen the neighbour to the north under 10 times. No word of a lie. It's very odd.

Of course after the wedding, we went straight to our honeymoon, my friend's Wedding, work, then another work/shower and family visiting weekend leaving lawn maintenance at the bottom of the list.

Dave finally cut the grass mid-September after trying a new power cord. It worked again, but now it's been raining so much I'm not sure when it will dry out enough to cut it. Luckily the front lawn is shaded by a big maple so it's not too bad, but the back yard is getting rather jungle-like.

4 comments:

Sara and Scott said...

It'll frost soon, and then it won't be a problem.

Plus I've heard that its really good for your lawn to leave it long before the snow. It provides insulation and really helps kick start the growth in the spring.

Okay, I have to admit that I totally just made that up... but it sounds like it could be right... you should give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

Here in the south when the grass gets too long we just burn it.

Or maybe that's just me.

Teena in Toronto said...

Ewwww! Cutting lawns!

I live in a condo in a townhouse ... and thankfully we have landscapers who take care of us. We hired new ones this summer and they did an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Sara; You totally sound authoritative, so we'll go with that.

Jenny: I'm pretty sure the neighbours would call the fire department. I think it's too wet out to burn anyway. :P

teena: ah to have landscapers! It's not so bad - I'd rather have the work that comes with a yard than not have one or have to pay someone to look after ours.