Sunday, February 05, 2006

Some... Shall we say "developments"

I got new running shoes. I am SO excited to try them out, but not excited enough that I will run in the freezing rain/snow/wet muck that's out there today. I'm hoping it slows down tonight so I can get a run in later.

There have really been quite a few developments this week that I haven't been sure whether to blog about or not. I've been through a range of emotions this week, from sobbing, frustration, anger, more frustration, self doubt, more sobbing, even more frustration (including a desire to throw things), needing some rum punchey punchey (no wonder lawyers are alcoholics) and now to committing myself to a decision.

I've decided to quit my job at the firm where I am currently working. I can't seem to begin to describe why something would be so horrible I'd choose unemployment over earning an income, but suffice to say it's a completely poisonous workplace for me and I've decided my health comes first. While the prospect of unemployment is highly scary, it is not worth my mental and emotional well being to work at what Sara calls "the 7th circle of hell." They just don't get it, and they never will. You would think that after losing three associates in one year (at a firm with only 7 lawyers once I leave) they'd get it, but they're clueless.

I've been looking for something better for some time now, and have a few other irons in the fire, including a job that would start in April, which isn't so far off. Oddly enough I'm kinda excited about not working until April, even if the "no paycheque" thing is super scary. I'll be able to accomplish all the things we've wanted to do to the house (well the cheap stuff like painting and fixing the problem spots on our plaster walls; we won't be able to get beyond the "ugly student furniture" part for a while yet) if I don't end up not working until April. We haven't had time to do the things to make the house feel like our own yet, and it'd be nice to be able to do that.

It was a tough decision to make but it really reminded me that I am so lucky to have friends, family, and a fiance who care for me and are supportive of my decision. I'm past the "scared out of my wits" part and now I can't wait until my last day there.

Finally, Dave made wicked great pancakes this morning with raspberries. They were SO yummy! Pancakes are one thing I will definitely admit Dave is better at making than I am.

Also, it struck me the other day that it's been almost a year since we got engaged. Funny how time flies when you're having fun. I think it was actually a year ago today that Dave bought my ring. I'm looking forward to the wedding and the years that will follow.

No comments: