Saturday, July 08, 2006

87% True: The Lies that bind!

So Wednesday night I took Dave on a date. I know, it was very forward of me.

We decided to go see lovely Rosemary Rowe, of the fantabulous blog Creampuff Revolution and friend Chris Gilpin perform their play 87% true: The lies that Bind at the Toronto Fringe Festival.

Like the beverly hillbillies, and the 905 kids we (sadly) are, we packed up Dave's car in the bland suburbia of the 'shwa to head into the multicultural, diverse, non big box store-filled Toronto. We planned to hit the Old Spaghetti Factory, thinking it'd be cutesy and touristey, and remembered (perhaps inaccurately) the food was wicked good.

Sadly, on the way there we both realized we weren't sure where to find the Old Spaghetti Factory, so we decided just to find a place near the theatre to grab a bite.

I knew it was on Bathurst and was pretty sure it was at Harbord and Bathurst. So, when we saw the Bathurst Street Theatre we thought Aha! We've arrived! We fed the meter, and trotted off to see if the box office was open. We quickly realized we were in the wrong place! Gah! We decided to still grab dinner and scoured every post and coffee shop for posters.

Luckily thanks to someone's awesome postering skills, we found a poster and realized we passed the theatre and had to go back down to Adelaide. We decided to eat at a little Italian restaurant for dinner when they said we could be in and out within an hour. The waiter called me m'am but the olive oil with balsamic vinegar, olives (mmm, and they were all mine 'cause dave doesn't like them!) and whole grain bread they served made up for it. I had a lovely spinach and ricotta agnolotti, with fresh tomato sauce and tons of basil in it. So good!

We hurried back to the car, scrambled to find parking and arrived at the theatre in time. I have to admit I was pretty excited. Not only do I really love theatre, but I like witty and funny, and figured if the play was anything like her blog, it would be both.

We weren't disappointed. We both had a great time, laughed throughout the play, and are currently recommending to everyone we come across to go see it. Who doesn't like a show about family dysfunction? For anyone in TO, it's a mere $10 to go see live theatre! The money goes to the artists! It's funny! You'll be cool! They serve beer afterward! You can't get that going to see a typical summer blockbuster. Plus, it makes for a wicked date! Go!

I decided to stick around to introduce myself after the play. Rose said that meeting people from the internet is the new black. I can't take credit for the clever line but she's exactly right. The experience is all the better when people turn out to be cool in person.

With it being opening night for the play and Rose having a horde of friends to wish her well our meeting was brief, but I'd love to get together again sometime. (double date?)

Sadly, I think it won't be for a while given she'll be spending the next few months touring a whack of fringe festivals, and is sure to be recognized as a fantastic playwright and actress, which means by the time she's back she'll be too cool for the 'shwa.

Anyway if you're in the GTA and you're looking for a great night or afternoon out you should GO SEE THIS PLAY!

And, in case you're lazy, here are the showtimes:

Venue 5 - Factory Studio Theatre / 125 Bathurst Street (at Adelaide)

Wed, July 5 @ 8:45 pm - show code: 502
Fri, July 7 @ 1:30 pm - show code: 507
Sat, July 8 @ 11:15 pm - show code: 519
Mon, July 10 @ 3:00 pm - show code: 528
Wed, July 12 @ 4:00 pm - show code: 541
Thu, July 13 @ 5:45 pm - show code: 549
Sat, July 15 @ 7:00 pm - show code: 564

Tickets: $10 "At The Door" / $10 Advance ($8 + $2 SC) / Passes: $6.50 - $8
Running Time: 60 Min.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time! I've never been to the Old Spaghetti Factory -- too bad you didn't make it there, but it sounds like the Italian joint made up for it.

Anonymous said...

Heather - thanks for the fantastic recommendation and for blogging your whole evening!! "It's funny! You'll be cool!" Hilarious. I love a good food/theatre blogoventure! It was so great to finally meet you and Dave and seriously - having met me, you MUST now know that I will never be too cool for the 'shwa. If anything, the 'shwa is too cool for me. We must totally get together again when all of this craziness is over. For beer! And Carbolic Smokeballs! Woooooo!

Heather said...

mamatulip: it was a great time! The Old Spaghetti is run (I think) by the same people who have the Organ Grinder. Anyway, from what I remember it was good, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't in double digits age-wise last time I was there.

roro: I sincerely hope we're all too cool for the 'shwa, frankly. I'd love to get together again after your grand tour of fringe fests for beer! (or beverage of your choice!)